Skip links

Child Support


(480) 788-0633

Contact Us

Child Support Law in Arizona

Arizona law requires parents to provide reasonable support for their minor children. It is important that your children receive the support they need for their basic needs and care. It is also important that each parent has a reasonable expectation of the amount of child support they will receive or pay. Determining which parent is responsible for child support and the monthly amount of support is one of the most litigated issues in Family Law. 

In Arizona, there are several factors that the courts will consider in determining which parent pays child support, and how much is paid. The following are the most common factors considered:

    • Gross Income of Each Parent
    • Spousal Maintenance or Alimony Paid/Received
    • Support Towards Children of Another Relationship
    • Number of Parenting Days Exercised by Each Parent
    • Health Insurance Costs for the Children
    • Child Care or Day-Care Costs

Except in rare situations, child support is owed until a child turns 18 years of age or graduates from high school, whichever occurs last.  If a parent’s income changes or if there are other changes that increase or decrease the child support amount by 15%, a parent can request a child support modification to either increase or decrease the amount of support being paid.

How to Calculate Child Support

Child support is calculated using the Arizona Child Support Guidelines, which are guidelines to ensure that both parents provide a fair share of their income and resources towards the basic needs of the children. The child support amount is calculated using the Child Support Calculator, which is a spreadsheet that takes into account the factors listed above and calculates a child support amount.

If you want an idea of the how much child support you may have to pay, or what you could expect to receive, you can access the Child Support Calculator for free online here. You can also find a copy of the Arizona Child Support Guidelines for free online here.

Need Help with Child Support?

This is especially the case for individuals that are self-employed or receive commission and bonuses. Call (480) 788-0633 or submit a case evaluation request (by clicking here) to talk to a child support attorney today.